No, I am not talking about thoughts related to seducing someone. My definition of a seductive thought is a thought that suggests doing something that you:
- Like a lot
- Can do without difficulty in your present circumstances
Let me give you some examples of seductive thoughts from my own life.
I am a web techie and love learning about the latest Internet technologies and tinkering with websites. I am constantly hit by thoughts such as:
“I want to do a Google search for that subject now.”
“I want to study that User Manual now.”
“I want to try out that web application now.”
All of the above are actions that I find enjoyable, exciting and deeply satisfying. Other not so pleasant examples, not drawn from me, are:
“I want to snort some cocaine now.”
“I need to smoke a cigarette now.”
The Problem with Seductive Thoughts
The problem is that most people cannot resist them, and this causes undesirable side-effects.
If you keep yielding to them, they can make your life develop unevenly: you succeed in one sphere, but fail in the others (for instance, there are many well-known examples of people who are professionally brilliant but abject failures in their family lives).
What you need to do is break the hold these thoughts have on you, so that you can make an educated decision on whether to accept their suggestions or not.
How to Break the Hold
First of all, resolve to be on the lookout for a seductive thought ambush (it’s not as difficult as you may think).
When a seductive thought hits you:
- Don’t unthinkingly go along with it.
- Pause for a moment and remind yourself about how it was only a thought, how you are the one who was aware of it and how you are under no compulsion to do as it says.
- Ask yourself if now is the best time to perform what it suggests (are there better things you could be doing instead?)
- If you decide that there is a higher-priority action that you should be doing, go with the higher-priority action.
- If there really and truly is nothing more important to do, then go ahead with what the seductive thought says.
- Rinse and repeat until you feel your life is in perfect balance (a sign you have broken the hold).
Be alert, be your mind’s boss and more power to you!
The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.
Want to put your finger right on your inner peace?
Submit your first name and email address, I'll send you full instructions in four installments for free.
I will not reveal your details to anyone.